Sunday, March 15, 2015

Happy 95th Birthday!

This week, Randy Seaver's weekly prompt, Saturday Night Genealogy Fun is all about your grandmother's birthday. It seems fitting as my grandmother just turned 95! So here is some information about my Grandmother's birthday. 

First things first, her name is Linona Alice Yates and she is the daughter of Estes & Eva (Hayes) Yates. She was born on March 12, 1920. 
In the center, at her 90th Birthday Party

  • What day of the week was March 12, 1920 & how did I find out. 
    • March 12, 1920 was a Friday. This site also lets me know that that makes her a Pisces and she was born in the year of the monkey (Chinese zodiac). 
  • What was a headline event in the news on that date & how did I find out? 
    •  This is the site I used to find a headline. 
    • Copyright, New York Times, 2010

  • What are five other historical events occurred on this date (month & day) and how did I find out? 
    • This site provides a list of historical happenings.
      • 1894 - Coca-Cola was sold in bottles for the first time.
      • 1912 - Girls Scouts was founded, originally Girl Guides.
      • 1933 - President Franklin Roosevelt gave his first Fireside Chat. 
      • 1947 - President Truman issues the "Truman Doctrine" to help Greece and Turkey resist Communism. (See headline above) 
      • 2010 - Apple began taking orders for the first iPad.
  • Who are 5 famous people born on this date and how did I find out?
    • This site provides a list of famous people born on this date. We have 1) Andrew Young born in 1932 and 2) Liza Minnelli born in 1948. After that, I'm not thrilled with the choices. So I went to this site and found 3)Jack Kerouac was born in 1922, 4) James Taylor born in 1948, and 5) Carl Hiaasen born in 1953. 

Five Generation Photo Shoot, September 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment