Monday, September 1, 2014

Sarah - Who Are You? - Saturday Night Genealogy Fun

Randy Seaver challenged geneabloggers to explore their ancestors named Sarah LNU (or last name unknown) as part of his Saturday Night Genealogy Fun series.

Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music):

1)  I have many females in my family tree database without a last name.  One of those female first names is "Sarah."  Do you have situations like this, where you don't know the surname of some females? [I call them LNU persons - Last Name Unknown.]


I have over 50 females named Sarah for whom I do not know their surname. I gave up counting after fifty. 
2) How many "Sarah" persons without a surname do you have in your genealogy database?  How many of them are your ancestor?  


I was only counting ancestors so...probably over 100 Sarahs total and over 50 related to me! Many are second wives of many times great-grandfathers, wives of uncles, etc. so they are not direct line ancestors. 
3)  If you have one that is your ancestor, have you looked recently to determine if there are more records online that might lead you to her surname?  Go look for one - you might be surprised!


4)  Tell us about your Sarah LNU ancestors with no surname.  Perhaps someone will read it and help you out!
Can you help me solve these??  

I'm going to try to solve 2 Sarah mysteries in this post. I'd love it if someone has information on these two Sarahs. 

1. Sarah married to Richard Pope (?-1694). This is an early Maine family and records are hard to find. No luck with records on FamilySearch and limited, unhelpful hints on Ancestry. My data originally came from the book, Old Kittery and her Families, available on archive.org. 


2. Sarah married Eleazer Higgins (1697-1743). They lived in Eastham, Massachusetts. A search on Ancestry reveals a tree where she is called Sarah Rush but has no sources for this fact. The rest of the tree is fairly well-sourced compared to many trees on the site. I couldn't find anything on FamilySearch. This is my original source for the basic information. 
26. “Richard Higgins, a resident and pioneer settler at Plymouth and Eastham, Massachusetts and at Piscataway, New Jersey, and his descendants,” Katharine Elizabeth Chapin Higgins, Worcester, Massachusetts: Higgins, 1918.

5)  Share your information in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or on Facebook or Google+.

6)  NOTE:  If you don't have any "Sarah" persons without a surname, then pick another female first name.


Well, I sure didn't have that problem! 

No comments:

Post a Comment