Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Tombstone Tuesday - Edward Augustus "Gus" Carter


Edward Augustus Carter, son of Edward Mellen & Fanny May (Capen) Carter, was born on August 22, 1911 and died December 27, 1997. He was my grandfather's brother. He is buried in the Middle Intervale Cemetery, on Intervale Rd. in Bethel, Maine. This cemetery is located behind a meetinghouse built in 1816. For much of my life, the meetinghouse was in the possession of the Carter family. When the upkeep became too much, the family donated it to the Middle Intervale Meetinghouse Association. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. 

I have many fond memories of Uncle Gus from my childhood. He lived just a short distance from my grandparent's farm in Bethel on the Intervale Road. My sister and I loved to go visit him because he always gave us a snack - usually milk and cookies and we would listen to his stories...the Carter men are well known for their storytelling ability. Uncle Gus was divorced and his grown children lived in California. He saw them and his grandchildren on visits but between visits, my sister and I filled in for them. Uncle Gus worked for the town of Bethel on the road maintenance crew until he was forced to retire at the age of 70. 

No comments:

Post a Comment